Friday, February 6, 2015

Amazon Mechanical Turk only seem to accept workers from the U.S.

 This is also posted on GIMP LEARN forum - Anything goes
I am Canadian.
I applied to Amazon Mechanical Turk(AMT) and got rejected as Canadian.
So I wanted to know if the rumors AMT only accepting U.S. workers is true.
So I went to comgateway.com and got a U.S. address.  After 2 days I was approved.
But then it asked me for my U.S. SSN number for Amazon Payment account in order to do work.
I filled out a random number since I don't have one so i can get to work.
I got to work successfully, later there was a notice to tell me to try fill out my payment details again since it didn't verify (obviously since it's not a real SSN).
But I got to do some tasks (HITs) but now there's no way to get that hard earned pennies out of the system.
I emailed Amazon saying that I can't change my Country to Canada for payment details.
They emailed me back saying I have to close that account and open another one with the country changed and go through the review process again.
But I read somewhere where they accepted a worker from the Middle East because his Kindle account had a U.S. shipping Address.
So here's my hope.  If I add a U.S. Address but have my contact (country of residence) as Canada, maybe with the U.S. shipping address, they'll hopefully accept me... I don't think they will, but it's worth a try.
So I just reapplied again, with a U.S. shipping address (I went to amazon.com and entered a U.S. address).  Then on mturk.com when it asked for country of residence I put Canada, but it had the option to choose an existing address (the U.S. one) or enter a new one. I entered my Canadian address instead of using the U.S. one since if later they ask for payment details I want to be able to have my country as Canada.  I am hoping they'll accept because of the U.S. shipping address.
Let's wait 2 more days (48 hours) and see what happens (fingers crossed).

EDIT: Now it's 2 days later, and I have just received AMT's rejection letter.  It is as below:
Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,
We have completed our review of your Amazon Mechanical Turk Worker Account. We regret to inform you that you will not be permitted to work on Mechanical Turk.

Our account review criteria are proprietary and we cannot disclose the reason why an invitation to complete registration has been denied. If our criteria for invitation changes, you may be invited to complete registration in the future.

Thank you for your interest in Mechanical Turk.
Sincerely,
Amazon Mechanical Turk


So now I am pretty sure AMT only accepts people from the U.S. only.

And now when I log-in to mturk.com and try to view HITs I see this message:

Your Amazon Mechanical Turk Account has been reviewed

Your registration with Amazon Mechanical Turk has been declined. Unfortunately, you are not permitted to work on Mechanical Turk. Our account review criteria are proprietary and we cannot disclose the reason why an invitation to complete registration has been denied. If our criteria for invitation changes, you may be invited to complete registration in the future. Thank you for your interest in Mechanical Turk.

In my opinion there should be another site that does what AMT does but internationally.